8.30.2015

Food Issues Book Club - The Ethics of What We Eat, Concluding Thoughts

Hello all!  Welcome to the NOiG Food Issues Book Club, wherein I read books about food stuff, summarize each book by chapter, and then attempt to apply that book chapter's ideas to the New Orleans food environment and my own experiences.  Fun right?!  Check out previous installations here.  I'd love it if you'd read along and join in!  And now, without further ado...

The Ethics of What We Eat, Concluding Thoughts

Well folks, that's a wrap.  I had a good time writing my letters to Peter and Jim; I wonder if they'll ever read them.

Overall, I wasn't thrilled with this book.  As with Berry, I'm glad to now say that I've read Singer.  I was fully expecting him to be a hardcore abolitionist and even more, so his moderation was pleasing and surprising.  But oof, that whole "obesity is amoral" mess really just prevents me from being able to respect these guys.

Big picture: if you've never ever addressed the idea that there may be ethical concerns around food, go ahead and read this book.  It would more aptly be titled The Ethics of the Animal Products We Eat, particularly since there are HUGE ethical issues in the food industry (food advertising, racism / classism in redlining and food availability, WORKERS) that are barely if at all touched on here, so don't go expecting a full discussion out of it.  If you're already aware that food has extensive ethical considerations, skip this one.  It'll just annoy you.

See y'all soon for our next book, The Politics of Food Supply -U.S. Agricultural Policy in the World Economy by Bill Winders.  Should be a riotous good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.