4.30.2015


Food Issues Book Club - Weighing In, Concluding Thoughts

Hello all!  Welcome to the NOiG Food Issues Book Club, wherein I read books about food stuff, summarize each book by chapter, and then attempt to apply that book chapter's ideas to the New Orleans food environment and my own experiences.  Fun right?!  Check out previous installations here.  I'd love it if you'd read along and join in!  And now, without further ado...

Weighing In, Concluding Thoughts

I wish I could make every human being in the country read this book.  Saving that, I wish I could make every vegan, every food justice advocate, every doctor, and every fat shamer read this book.  And saving that, I wish I could make everyone I know read this book.  Please, please, please read this book!  It is so important that the discussions around health, obesity, and personal responsibility be reframed, and this book provides a crucial jumping-off place on why and how.  It has challenged me to rethink my assumptions and examine food and fatness through a different lens, and in that way has literally changed my life.  I will likely read it again when I once again have free reading time!

Read Weighing In: Obesity, Food Justice, and the Limits of Capitalism by Julie Guthman to make the world a better place.  Yes, seriously.




No comments:

Post a Comment