1.02.2015

Bookish Ambitions: The Food Issues Book Club...?

Editor's note:

During 2015, I set out to read 12 books about food.  I read and wrote on 8 of them.  They are:

Food and the City by Jennifer Cockrall-King,
How Hungry is America by Joel Berg,
Appetite for Profit by Michelle Simon,
Weighing In by Julie Guthman,
Stuffed and Starved by Raj Patel,
Bringing It to the Table by Wendell Berry,
The Ethics of What We Eat by Peter Singer and Jim Mason, and
The Politics of Food Supply by Bill Winders.

Though I did not accomplish my original goal, I say two outta three ain't bad.  I hope you find the discussion posts useful or at least entertaining.

* * * * *

One of the big things I'd like to accomplish this year is to catch up on my reading.  These days there are dozens (if not hundreds) of amazing books on our food industry and environment.  While I'll likely never read all of them, I'd like to set an ambitious goal for this year: I'd like to read one a month!






My plan, broadly:
This is all subject to change, of course.

But hey, if I get all of that reading done, I'll be so smart!  I will know ALL THE THINGS!  Or at least I'll have a good start on knowing several to many of the things.  I plan to summarize each paragraph of each book into one sentence, and post the compiled summaries by chapter, along with my impressions, here on the blog.  (I know right?  I'm dreaming big!)

If you're interested in reading along with me, we could have an in-person or virtual book club!  Just drop me a line and we can make it happen!  Also, always remember to buy your books from a local store like Octavia Books.

Wish me luck!  Hope you'll join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment