1.31.2015

The Food Issues Book Club: Food and the City - Concluding Thoughts

If you've been following along  with the Food Issues Book Club this month, you'll know it's no secret that at times I've found Jennifer Cockrall-King's Food and the City truly painful.  But in the end, I'm glad I read it.  Doing so has made me open my eyes wider in the search for urban farming efforts here in New Orleans, and with that new-found attentiveness I have found several projects I'd not previously heard about.  It also reminded me that even in educated liberal circles, there are still many people who don't recognize the level of privilege in which they operate.

I'm glad that I read it, and glad that it's now done!  February's Book Club selection, Joel Berg's How Hungry is America, sits in a denser yet more comfortable space for me - that of academia.  With its focus on the problems of food insecurity in the US, I have high hopes that I won't even want to scream at the book and throw it on the ground even once (as I did several times with this one).  Of course, I'm not making any promises.

Are you planning on reading Berg with me?  I hope so!  I would LOVE to hear your feedback and discuss your impressions. Expect a post on Chapter 1: The Politics of Measuring Hunger on Monday, February 2nd.

So long Food and the City.  Thanks for getting the wheels turning on the Book Club and in my brain... and don't let the door hit ya.  (JK. Mostly.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.