9.16.2014

365 Project Day 259: Inspiring Interruption.

We interrupt our normal programming to bring you this special report: I was in New York City this weekend! It was my first visit back since I moved back home to New Orleans in 2011, and I ate ALL THE THINGS. A small sampling, to wit:

Everything bagel with sun-dried tomato creme cheese, lettuce, and tomato from Ess-a-Bagel on 3rd Ave near 50th
Mighty Mushroom roll (with the Haricat in the background) at Beyond Sushi on 14th St
Unbelievably delicious vegan macarons from Sweet Maresa, found at the Vegan Shop-Up at all-vegan bar Pine Box Rock Shop in Bushwick, Brooklyn
A scoop of creamsicle atop a scoop of cola at Blythe Ann's (formerly Lula's Sweet Apothecary) on 6th Street
 Rather than look at these options and lament that Nola has far to go, rather I see where we will inevitably wind up with the incredible growth our vegan scene is experiencing.  Soon will be the day (ten years?  five?  less?) when we can walk through the streets of New Orleans and find any meal we want in a delicious, vegan iteration.  Vegan Japanese?  An all-vegan bar?  Vegan cream cheese?  These things are easy as pie.  We must keep encouraging our local restaurants (with friendly smiles and promises of monetary support) to add more vegan options to their menus.

Mark my words, we'll have a vegan scene to rival that of NYC, Portland, and the rest.  Just you wait.  It's gonna be beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I love Ess-a-Bagel and I love Beyond Sushi! I wish NYC was closer!

    ReplyDelete