9.03.2014

365 Project Day 246: Gumbo Z Galore

I truly love gumbo.  That's kind of a silly thing to say, though, because gumbo is not one thing.  It's a style of soup or stew, maybe.  Common factors are a thickening agent, but that agent could be okra, or file, or a roux.  In roux gumbos, the roux could be blonde or deep chocolate brown or anywhere in between.  There's almost always a protein, but that could be chicken or sausage or seafood, or their vegan analogues.  It's usually, but not always, served over rice.

Regardless, a good gumbo is always delicious, and the flexibility of the dish allows for numerous vegan variations.  My favorite gumbo is a Lenten dish called Gumbo Z'herbes or green gumbo.  During Lent (the forty days before Easter), Catholics refrain from eating meat on Fridays.  Gumbo Z is the traditional New Orleans meal on Good Friday, and by simply subbing olive oil for butter in your roux, it's vegan!  It uses any number of greens, but always an odd number of bunches for luck.

You can check out my recipe here, or you can track down Woody's Fish Tacos, a company that exists exclusively at New Orleans events.  Their gumbo z is killer!  If we're lucky, they'll have it at this year's Treme Creole Gumbo Festival.

Green Gumbo from Woody's Fish Tacos

4 comments:

  1. Maybe that's why I've never understood what gumbo is supposed to be - apparently it's a many splendored thing.

    I'll have to check out your green recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good. I think I might have to give gumbo a go now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to have found your blog via Vegan MoFo! I'm going to be in New Orleans for the first time in a couple weeks, so your posts are so helpful! I am super excited, can't wait to see all your MoFoing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had gumbo in too long, I must rectify this soon!

    ReplyDelete