12.09.2013

Vegan Cuts: What to get the vegan who has everything... or nothing.

Hello friends!  I'm here today to talk to you about the Vegan Cuts monthly Snack Box.  I don't normally do reviews, but when Melisser Elliot asks you to do a review, you do it.  Know what I'm saying?  ;)

Seriously though,  y'all know that I like to keep this blog relevant to Nola.  How does this fit in?  Well, in a town that sometimes seems lacking in vegan options, this is a great way to explore online shopping possibilities!  It could also be an awesome gift for folks who live a little further out in areas like Houma, Lafayette, and the like and may not have access to places like Whole Foods or the Nola Food Co-Op.  Why is it such a great gift idea?  Well, read on and I'll tell you!

In case you're not familiar with the "monthly box" model, it works like this: you order and receive a box.  You can choose to receive it yourself ($19.99 per month) or send it as a gift ($25 and up, depending on how many months).  After sampling the products within, the recipient can seek out what they loved either on that product's web site, or through the Vegan Cuts marketplace.  Vegan happiness for all! 

I received the November Vegan Cuts snack box to review.  The first things that struck me were the relatively large size of the box, and the eco-conscious packaging within.  But I quickly forgot all of that when I beheld the deliciousness inside.  My box contained about a dozen different goodies, which I will describe for you now.
  • Snapea Crisps, Black Pepper flavor: So delish!  And this was no sample size either, it was a whole bag.  Which I ate.  Happily.
  • Nutty Bean Co. Chick Pz "Premium Roasted Chickpea Snacks" - Cinnamon Crunch flavor: I've eaten dried chickpeas before, and this product shares the same odd chalkiness.  However, the sweet cinnamon-ness of them made them strangely addictive.
  • Barbara's Organic Snackimals Cereal: another sweet cinnamon treat, this would be a non-terrible breakfast option if you're looking to go a cereal way.
  • RW Garcia "Mixt Bag" yellow & blue corn tortilla chips: these are certified non-GMO.  They're not the best corn chips I've ever had, but they're tasty and salty and crunchy, and the mix of blue and yellow is fun.
  • Raw Rev 100 by Raw Revolution: these organic live food bars are a good option when you need a snack on the go, and the 100 calorie portion would be useful for anyone in the calorie counting game.  I received Chocolate Coconut Bliss flavor - right up my alley when it comes to granola bar-type objects.
  • Wild Garden Hummus Dip, Roasted Garlic flavor: Hummus in a convenient package.  Not bad.
  • Crunchmasters Multi-Seed Crackers: nothing to write home about, but fine for what they are
  • Michy's Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie: surprisingly good for being a packaged, gluten-free cookie!
  • Sjaak's Caramel Bite: because I'm a sugar fiend, this was the real star of the box for me.  I was suspicious at first - vegan caramel?  Really?!  YES REALLY!  And so, so delicious.  And to top it off, they're available at the Co-Op!
  • Meatless Select "tuna" in a can: this was the only product in the box that I really didn't enjoy.  It had an odd chemical-ey taste, even after I made it up like tuna salad.  But ah well - now I know!  And I'm intrigued that such a thing exists.
Overall, I found the box to have a delightful mix of sweet and savory treats, ranging from uber-healthy to bordering on junk food.  I would probably never have picked these items up in a store - if they're even available in these parts - so it was exciting to get to try them all.

In summary, the Vegan Cuts Snack Box is a fun way for you or someone you love to try out new snacky things.  FYI, there's a Beauty Box as well if you roll like that.  The next box ships on December 16th, so order soon - and enjoy snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment