11.18.2013

Happy National Vichyssoise Day!

I can't imagine a more perfect fall soup than vichyssoise.  Also, it's fun to say.  It's meant to be served cold, of course, so luckily it's not all that cold here in Nola!  This soup typically contains dairy and chicken stock - but the ingredients for this recipe are super easy to veganize!  As follows:
  • 4 Tbsp butter Earth Balance buttery sticks
  • 4-5 cups sliced leeks, white and pale green parts only (from about 4(?) large leeks)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped or sliced
  • 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 6 cups water (vegetarian option), or chicken stock vegetable stock
  • 2 teaspoons Kosher salt (more to taste)
  • 1/2 cup Tofutti or other vegan sour cream
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream unsweetened unflavored almond milk
  • Chopped fresh chives for garnish
Looks pretty solid right?  Well guess what?  I tried it out!  And I gotta tell y'all, it is absolutely delicious.  And easy as well, especially if you have an immersion blender!  (Hands down our best wedding present, fyi.)

I dunno if my leeks were extra large, but I only needed to of them to get four plus cups of slices.  For the broth I used three Rapunzel cubes in six cups of water - they are quite salty, so I omitted the 2 extra teaspoons of salt.  I was worried that it wouldn't be creamy enough, but the Tofutti sour cream is thicker than the non-vegan variety, so it balances out with the almond milk.  And finally, instead of chives which I don't particularly enjoy, fresh ground pepper was the perfect topping.

And there it is!  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.