9.13.2013

Happy National Peanut Day!

Ohmygoodness. Yes, here we go with the freaking peanuts again!! For those of you keeping track, this is the EIGHTH National Day involving peanuts or peanut butter. (There are still two more to go, too.)  We really do love us some peanuts, huh? Except, of course, for those of us with deadly peanut allergies. Sorry y'all.

The good news is that now I can share with you my favorite boiled peanut recipe! If you've never had boiled peanuts, it is actually a real treat. And the awesome part is that you can usually get locally grown raw peanuts at Hollygrove Market! This is, in fact, how I discovered the joy of boiled peanuts - I got some in "the box" and had to figure out what the heck to do with them.  Stop by this Saturday and give boiled peanuts a shot - you'll thank me, I swear.

Local raw peanuts at Hollygrove
You will need:
  • 1-2 pounds of green peanuts
  • a big pot
  • Zataran's seafood boil - I like the liquid kind (this of course is just seasoning and contains no seafood)
  • salt
  • water
You will do:
  • fill a laaaarge pot with a gallon of water
  • add 1/4 cup salt
  • add 1/2 cup seafood boil
  • add cleaned green peanuts
  • boil for about three hours
  • let them cool in the pot liquor
  • eat and enjoy!  (just the peanuts, not the shells...)

4 comments:

  1. I've never made boiled peanuts myself..this would be good to try. Apparently, it's healthier to have boiled peanuts vs roasted ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boiled peanuts are one of my favourite snacks. They are a common street food here in India. Eating them always brings back so many great memories of childhood and college days for me.

    Get yourself a little pressure cooker sometime. You can make these in like half an hour with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool! I have a fascination with India - I dream of visiting some day... Apparently while I'm there, I should eat some boiled peanuts!

      Delete
  3. Boiled peanuts are popular here, but I've never been a huge fan. I think I'd like your recipe because of the seasoning! :-)

    ReplyDelete