5.29.2013

Restaurant Profile: Cafe Granada

On Friday, I heard tell via the internets that my fave bakery, Breads on Oak, was serving vegan French onion soup.  So I rushed over, arriving at 3:30... only to discover that they had closed at 3.  Ah, the heartbreak of lost soup.

Stuffed Mushrooms
Not to be dissuaded, I headed just a few blocks up S. Carrollton to Cafe Granada, which I'd just learned about from WWNO, our local NPR source.  Thanks NPR!

So it was that fate (and hunger) brought me to this little Spanish tapas restaurant.  On top of the charming interior, imagine my surprise when I discovered that they have numerous vegan menu items, many of which I haven't found elsewhere in the city!

Andalusian Gazpacho
Items that are vegan as served include:
  • Aceitunas a la Sevillana: marinated olives, artichokes, and roasted bell peppers
  • Fabada: baby lima beans, artichokes, sundried tomatoes cooked in vegetable broth
  • Stuffed Mushrooms: button mushrooms stuffed with eggplant, sundried tomatoes, and almonds
  • Andalusian Gazpacho
  • Ensalada de Berros: spring mix with heart of palm, avocado, almonds, grapefruit, and citrus vinaigrette
Patatas Bravas
Easily veganized items include:
  • Zucchini Fritters (order without the saffron aioli)
  • Patatas Bravas: potatoes sauteed in spicy tomato sauce (order without the garlic aioli)
  • Eggplant Granada: grilled layers of eggplant stuffed with mushrooms and topped with caramelized onions (order without romesco sauce)





Fabada
I'm so excited to have discovered yet another restaurant with great vegan options in Nola, with reasonable prices and comfortable seating no less.  Stop by, sit a spell, and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment