And so, I hereby declare today to also be National Cabbage Day. Cabbage is an underrated vegetable. It is delicious with even the most simple preparation:
- Slice half a head of red cabbage into the thinnest wedges you can manage
- Slice a shallot thinly as well
- Drizzle lightly with sesame oil and olive oil
- Add an eighth to a quarter cup of Mirin (sweet rice wine)
- Saute until it reaches the softness you desire - and enjoy!
Also, don't worry - you haven't missed all of the St. Pat's shenanigans. If you're looking to party after all that cabbage cooking, stop by Parasol's and/or check out the less organized parade that will be winding its way through the Marigny and Bywater.
Have fun y'all!