3.30.2013

Happy Save the Turkeys' Necks Soup Day!

OK, well you may have guessed that the actual name of this National holiday is Turkey Neck Soup Day.  But really, who among us vegans has turkey necks laying around?  I kid.  Because the thought is atrocious.  I like my turkey necks connected to happy, living Turkeys.  Thus, Save the Turkeys' Necks Soup Day is born!

ANYway.  To celebrate this day, I decided to actually cook.  (I know, I know!!)  It's my understanding that the hoopla over turkey necks is that they add so much flavor.  So I thought, what could I use that adds a ton of flavor to a soup?  And I arrived at this answer: sausages.

Vegan sausages, of course!  While "sausages" were historically made with the parts of animals found even by meat-eaters to be unmentionable and barely edible, the modern vegan has easy access to plant-based sausages that are far more delicious than their meaty counterparts.  And of course far less mysterious / scary / disturbing.  Personally, I am a fan of both Tofurky and Field Roast sausage brands (available locally at the Nola Food Co-Op and Whole Foods).

For this recipe I decided to go with Field Roast (Italian flavor) because of its tendency to fall apart.  While sometimes quite annoying, it struck me as just the thing here.  After reviewing a few "real" turkey neck soup recipes on yon Internets, I devised the following simple yet delicious alternative:

MEL'S SAVE THE TURKEYS' NECKS SOUP

Ingredients:
  • 12 cups water
  • 1 vegan bullion cube (I like Rapunzel)
  • 4 vegan sausages of your choice
  • 1 medium yellow onion, thickly sliced
  • 3 to 5 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half 
  • 3 large red potatoes, cubed
  • 1 medium parsnip, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced into small pieces
  • 1 tsp of Tony Chachere's (seasoning salt for you non-locals)
  • 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces

Method:
  1. Gently boil bullion, sausage, onion, and garlic for about one hour in a large covered pot.
  2. Add potatoes, parsnip, celery, and Tony's; return pot to a gentle boil and let cook for about 15 minutes.
  3. Add carrots; let gently boil for another 15 minutes or until all vegetables reach desired tenderness.
  4. Remove the pot from heat and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.

Optionals:
Caramelize onions in the bottom of your pot before adding water.
Add one to two bay leaves in the first step; just don't eat them!
Braise or sear your sausage of choice before boiling.
Serve over rice.

And enjoy!  {This step is not optional.}

No comments:

Post a Comment